The purpose of this FAQ is to assist Law Enforcement Personnel in working and interacting with ServerMania by answering the most common questions we get asked. This should help streamline the process for all parties involved.
Who we are?
Servermania is an Internet Service Provider that provides servers and cloud infrastructure in facilities spread out across the globe. The services we provide are almost always managed by the clients themselves, with us having little to no access to their data without intervention. .
Who are our clients?
Our clients range from an individual who needs to host their data or applications, but don’t want to buy a server in their home, to large enterprises who do not want to setup or maintenance datacenter environments for their business applications. We have thousands of clients across the globe, from almost every country. Most of our clients sign up with us through our website, and correspond with us only through email.
With Law Enforcement Requests, a large portion of the requests lead to a segment of our Business to Business clients which are VPN Service Providers.
What is a VPN Service Provider?
A Virtual Private Network is a connection method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks. The Virtual Private Network will alter the user’s initial IP address replaced with one from the Virtual Private Network provider. Subscribers can obtain an IP address from any gateway city the VPN service provides. For instance, you may live in San Francisco, but with a Virtual Private Network, you can appear to live in Amsterdam, New York, or any number of gateway cities.
What information can you provide?
ServerMania can provide the information stated below if provided with a Legal Subpoena. For the sake of clarity, notes are included for each type of information so you can be aware of the limitations or context about the information.
What we can provide:
- Direct Client Profile
- Including: Company Name, Company Contacts, Address, Phone Numbers, Emails
- Company information is entered and maintained by the Client
- Client Billing Information
- Including: Invoices, Service Details, Service Dates, Payment Methods, Transaction Information
- Transaction and Payment Method information is limited to what we are provided by the Payment Processor.
- Client Communications and Logs
- Including: Emails between us and the client, logs of the client logging into our portal to access their account
- Email information takes significant time to collect and process. Please limit these requests to what you need if possible.
- IP and Device Information
- Including: Dates the IP Addresses were assigned to the devices, information about the devices, Logs of when the IPs and devices were assigned and unassigned from the client and/or service
- Data on the device CAN be provided, however this requires us to intervene and take the machine offline which the client will be aware of. Device data can be up to or exceeding 1TB in size, so please be prepared for this.
What we can’t provide:
- Information about what the client is using their services for
- Parsing of data hosted on the clients service (such as logs, databases, or finding particular files in their storage
- Network Access logs, or any other network level connection logging
Do I need a warrant or Subpoena?
ServerMania requires a valid Subpoena for all Law Enforcement requests.
Where do I send inquiries and Subpoenas? Please send inquiries and Subpoenas to email@example.com.