Have you ever wanted to quickly setup your own dedicated mail server? Setting up a personal email server is very easy to do. We’ll show you everything you need to quickly deploy your own mail server on a ServerMania Hybrid, Cloud, or Dedicated Server using the popular Mail In A Box platform.
Why Create Your Own Mail Server?
There are many reasons why you should setup your own mail server:
- Privacy: When you setup your own mail server, you know that you are the only mailbox on that server sending mail. This means that you can be confident that the privacy of the server is optimal.
- Security: Managing your own mail server means that you can maintain the highest level of security. When other mail users are on the same server, you never know what security policies may be compromised.
- Reliability: When you create your own mail server, you never have to worry about other users sending abusive mail on the server. This ensures reliability and uptime can be easily maintained.
Mail Server System Requirements
- A Hybrid, Cloud, or Dedicated Server with ServerMania – this will need to be a server dedicated to running the mail server
- Ubuntu Operating System
- 25Gb Disk Space
- 1GB of RAM
Mail Server Components
This guide will quickly and automatically setup every required component required to create your own mail server:
- SMTP (postfix)
- IMAP (dovecot)
- CardDAV/CalDAV (Nextcloud)
- Exchange ActiveSync (z-push)
- Webmail (Roundcube)
- Static website hosting (nginx)
- Spam filtering (spamassassin)
- Greylisting (postgrey)
- DNS (nsd4) with SPF, DKIM (OpenDKIM), DMARC, DNSSEC, DANE TLSA, and SSHFP records automatically set
- Backups (duplicity)
- Firewall (ufw), intrusion protection (fail2ban), and system monitoring (munin)
Mail Server Installation Instructions
We’ll begin by logging into root via SSH to your server:
Update all server packages:
Install git, which will be used to download the mail server install script:
apt-get install git
Download the mail server installation files:
git clone https://github.com/mail-in-a-box/mailinabox
Change into the script directory:
Start the installation script:
During the install, enter the email address and domain that the mail server will be based upon. You will then select geographic area and nearest city.
Once the install is complete, we will finish the process by running the configuration script:
We’ll complete the installation by rebooting the server:
Installation of your personal mail server is now complete.
Configure Domain Settings
You will need to configure a few components at your domain name registrar in order to connect your domain to your mail server:
- Update the glue records for ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com to point to the main IP of your server
- Set the nameservers of the domain to ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com
Mail Server Management
Now that installation is complete, you can now login to the mail server control panel at: https://IP-Address/admin
This page includes a variety of checks that ensure your mail server is configured properly. It also contains instructions on accessing webmail and configuring a mail client like Outlook.
You have now setup your own mail server. It really was pretty easy, wasn’t it? Need help? Contact our support team for assistance.